Algoma Township + Kent District Library
On May 2, 2023, voters in Algoma Township will decide whether to remain in the Kent District Library system.
- If Algoma Township residents vote “no” on the ballot proposal to leave KDL, they will continue to have access to KDL's Five Star library service, as well as extensive programming by our professional staff. KDL goes beyond the traditional scope of a library to offer a collection of unique items, including Wi-Fi hotspots, bicycles, movies, iPads, GoPro Cameras – even garden seeds. KDL provides innovative and educational programming for all ages.
- If Algoma Township residents vote “yes” on the ballot proposal to leave KDL, they will no longer have access to all the materials that they would as a KDL patron. For example, Algoma Township residents will not be able to check out items from the digital collection or Beyond Books Collection, and they would lose access to other online databases and resources.
Algoma Township At-A-Glance
Kent District Library has served the people of Algoma Township since 1994 – and the Kent District Library Board would love to continue to do so. KDL has received no concerns from the Algoma Township Board about the services KDL provides.
- Total library cards issued: 4,396 with 2,296 cards in 1,626 households having checked out materials within the past 12 months. (note: it’s common for one library card to serve multiple individuals).
- Primary Libraries Used by Algoma Township residents over the past 12 months: Krause Memorial Library in Rockford (78%), Plainfield Township Branch (11%), other libraries (11%)
- Total value of annual checkouts of items by Algoma Township residents based on what it would cost to purchase them: $1.58 million
- Value of physical items checked out: $917,850
- Value of digital items checked out: $658,533
- Total items checked out by Algoma Township residents over the past 12 months (as of February 2023): 90,121
- Physical only circulation: 49,418
- Digital only circulation: 40,703
- Items to choose from
- Nearly 700,000 items in the physical collection
- 15.6 million digital items
- More than 5,000 programs each year
Did you know that Algoma Township residents are among the highest users of Wi-fi hotspots borrowed from KDL?
- If you add the number of checkouts and duration of individual checkouts, it totals 36 years of internet access.