The KDL Bookmobile delivers information, ideas and excitement
The KDL Bookmobile brings library services to patrons in far or underserved communities, supports access to wide community resources and builds meaningful relationships that foster love for literacy and lifelong learning.
The project was made possible through the generous donations of:
- The Steelcase Foundation, opens a new window: $208,000 grant to cover much of the cost to build the Bookmobile
- The Frey Foundation, opens a new window: $40,000 grant to help fund the collection
- J&H Family Stores, opens a new window: $1,440 provided for fuel
For ages 0 to 7, the Bookmobile focuses on increasing early literacy -- particularly preschool visits -- through storytelling, engaging parents in the process and equipping them with the tools they need to help their children succeed.
For school age children and teens, the Bookmobile focuses on providing access and materials that promote excitement, increase curiosity and boost imagination.
For adults and families with children, the Bookmobile offers a variety of ways to experience community libraries
For senior adults, the Bookmobile focuses on increasing access not only to the library but also to the rest of the community, resources and activities.
The service model for the Bookmobile is based upon three principles:
- Portability: Bringing information, ideas and excitement outside of our walls to underserved communities.
- Accessibility: Providing resources to patrons of diverse ages, languages, abilities, and backgrounds while introducing new users to their library.
- Flexibility: Offering library collection that is tailored specifically for the audience at the Bookmobile's destination.
- Schools: Storytimes, book talks, introduction to research databases.
- Senior centers: Large-print collection, troubleshooting with technology, etc.
- Health care facilities and community centers: Resources and information about access to services.
- Remote or underserved locations: Pick up materials that have been placed on hold, return checked-out materials, access to technology and Wi-Fi service.
- Career and job seekers: Navigation of community resources.
KDL Bookmobile patrons receive the same amazing service they have come to expect at KDL, including the ability to ask reference questions, request materials and apply for a library card.
Our four Bookmobile Operators are:
- Adam Flynn
- Kevin Kammeraad
- Kelaine Mish
- Joyanne Huston-Swanson
Anatomy of the KDL Bookmobile
(Click image for the full-page PDF)