As Kent District Library strives to offer an innovative and unexpected physical collection, we continually work to expand our Beyond Books Collection. Items are usually chosen for the collection due to their high cost. This fits with the library's mission to offer materials people could not afford themselves while giving access to these items.
You can take these items home with you just as you would one of our books. Patrons often tell the library that they appreciate the ability to try these items out while they consider if it’s a worthwhile personal purchase. Most Beyond Books items can now be transferred to branches besides their home locations, unless noted below, which allows patrons across our service area to utilize these items. To place any Beyond Books item on hold, use the links below to the catalog, call us at 616-784-2007, or make the request in person when you visit one of our branches.
Below is a list of the items in our Beyond Books Collections:
- Birdwatching backpacks (includes binoculars, guidebook, and bird observation field notebook)
- GoPro cameras
- Green Screen and Umbrella Lighting Kit — Must be picked up from and returned to Cascade only
- iPad Air 2 (16 GB)
- KDL Cruisers (only available during warmer weather months) — Must be picked up from and returned to Amy Van Andel Library and Community Center (Ada), Caledonia, Comstock Park, East Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kentwood, Krause Memorial (Rockford), Walker and Wyoming plus our Service and Meeting Center
- WiFi Verizon Hotspots
- Nintendo Switch game consoles
- Portable turntables — Must be picked up from and returned to Amy Van Andel Library and Community Center (Ada), Cascade, East Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kentwood, Plainfield, Krause Memorial (Rockford), and Walker
- Spot thermal camera
To check out an item, you will need
- A KDL library card (except for KDL Cruisers, which do not require a KDL library card)
- To be 18 years or older
- To have a library card in good standing (under $20 in fines)
- To agree to a Borrower’s Agreement to acknowledge your responsibility for the item (including higher overdue fines than other KDL materials)
- Most check out for three weeks. Except for:
- KDL Cruisers — see details below
- WiFi Verizon Hotspots now check out for four months with no renewals
- They can be renewed if there are no holds (no one waiting).
- They must be returned to staff before the library closes on the day they are due at any KDL location, excepting the items noted above which must be returned to the location from which they were borrowed.
Select branches offer Breezer Uptown EX 8-speed bicycles for overnight checkout. Each KDL Cruiser is a step-through style that comes with a basket, a bike lock and key.
- Bikes are due back by closing of the branch's next business day.
- Available from roughly May 1 to Oct. 31.
- See the KDL Cruisers page for more details.