These are the ages when kids need access to books and reading the most. KDL wants to make sure that kids do not lose ground in the reading gains they’ve made over the school year. All of these activities will keep your child’s brain active and count toward completing the 30-Day Challenge.
Youth readers will get to choose a book as their prize for completing Summer Wonder.
To complete Summer Wonder, do 30 days of any of the following activities between June 1 and Aug. 7:
- Read for at least 20 minutes. Choose from books, magazines, graphic novels, comics and more.
- Write a story, a letter or journal entry — or check out one of the writing prompts for inspiration (see below).
- Listen to an audiobook or have a book read to you.
- Do one of our awesome and easy STEAM activities (see below).
Log your reading online or in print
- Online: Beanstack
- Printable PDF: (coming soon)
I was walking through the forest and I tripped on a huge branch. I fell on my face knocking the wind out of me. As I looked up I was eye to eye with a smiling creature. I said, ...
I woke up slowly yesterday and my eyes adjusted to the sunlight peeking into my room, but it was not my room. I was inside a moss covered tree trunk.
If you could go on a hike anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you see?
Imagine you can crawl into a den with a woodland animal. Whose den are you joining? What happens in the den?
Sit in your backyard or a safe outdoor space. Describe what you see, hear, and smell around you.
STEAM Activities (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math)
Details coming soon!
- Build a Parachute (Engineering)
- Map Your Yard (Technology)
- Shape Hunt (Math)
- Nature Face (Art)
- How Do Leaves Breathe? (Science)
- Gnome Homes (Engineering)
- Paper Airplanes (Math)
- Photo Scavenger Hunt (Technology)
- Stargazing (Science)
- Nature Mandala (Art)