Help your child know that they are a part of something big, really big! Give them the opportunity to feel proud of a huge accomplishment! Make sure they are as ready as they can be for one of the biggest moments of their little life — starting school.
Sign them up for 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten (1KB4K)!
The program in a nutshell:
- When you enroll your child in 1KB4K at any KDL branch, you will receive a folder that contains your first Zoo Animal Chart. If you enroll online, you'll receive an email with the link to the first Zoo Animal chart (the complete list of charts is below). For every book you read, cross off one animal on your chart.
- When you have read 100 books to your child, bring the completed Zoo Animal Chart to your branch. Your child will get his or her name on our Wall of Fame (great photo op!), a sticker and a new Zoo Animal Chart for the next 100 books.
- After every 100 books, make sure to pick up your sticker and the next Animal Chart.
- When your child reaches 1,000 books, he or she will receive their very own book bag and a stylish Certificate of Achievement.
- Finished all the steps? Congratulations! You did it! You gave your children a priceless gift — the readiness to read!
Every child in your family can participate, from infant up to Kindergarten.
Does reading 1,000 books seem totally overwhelming? We promise, it's not as hard as you think!
3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095 books
1 book a day for 3 years = 1,095 books
- Read the same book over, and over, and over.
- Read in any language.
- Storytimes count, too! Find upcoming story times or watch recorded story times.
It's simple, fun and we'll help you get there!