Welcome to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten (1KB4K)!
1KB4K is designed to be a simple way to incorporate reading together in your everyday life. Geared towards children from birth up through kindergarten with a caregiver, the program’s goal, reading 1,000 books before kindergarten, is easy and fun to complete.
Read or look at at least one book a day with the young child in your life and see how that one book multiples into many books, all helping that child learn the early literacy skills they need to grow into readers who enjoy books. Repeating books, audio books, paging through a board book, books read at storytime and reading books in any language all count.
Does reading 1,000 books seem challenging? We promise it’s not as hard as you think!
- 3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095 books
- 1 book a day for 3 years = 1,095 books
Stop in to any KDL branch to pick up a tracking and activity booklet for your child that includes a progress poster.
- Login to Beanstack and register your child for 1KB4K.
- Pick up a paper progress poster for your child at any KDL branch and receive a tracking and activity booklet featuring 5 activity ideas to support early learning.
- Contact us if you need any help.
Beanstack helps you track activities for multiple people. Simply install the app or login to the Beanstack website.
Collect all 10 animal stickers as you work towards 1,000 books! For every 100 books you read together, stop into a KDL branch to pick up a sticker for your child’s progress poster.
When you reach 1,000 books, we’ll award your child with a certificate of achievement and their very own book bag!