Taxpayer Resources 2021 (PDF from Legal Aid of Western Michigan)
There are numerous free options available for taxpayers to obtain tax products, tax preparation and assistance in filing their tax returns:
- Forms and instructions are available online.
- All KDL branches will have paper copies of a limited number of popular forms available for free.
- Please contact us for an up-to-date inventory.
- Many libraries also have a master book of current federal forms available for reproduction. Library staff can assist you in finding and printing tax forms, although legal and ethical codes prohibit staff from giving income tax advice or opinions. (Some printed forms may not be available until late February, and the City of Grand Rapids will not be providing printed tax forms to libraries.)
- Depending on your age or income, you may be eligible for free tax preparation services — see specific information below.
The IRS will begin accepting tax returns in January. The deadline to file this year is Monday, April 18 2022. Individual and business taxpayers no longer receive paper income tax packages in the mail from the IRS. The IRS has taken this step because of the continued growth in electronic filing and the availability of free options to taxpayers, as well as to help reduce costs.
Contains a wealth of federal tax information and resources.
800-829-3676 request forms (1-800-TAX-FORM)
800-829-1040 tax information (individuals)
Federal forms and instructions. Also includes forms from previous years.
Forms may also be available at the local IRS office:
3251 N. Evergreen Drive NE
Grand Rapids MI 49525
Office information: 616-365-4700
Make appointment: 844-545-5640
Mon‐Fri 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The Earned Income Tax Credit, EITC or EIC, is a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file. EITC reduces the amount of tax you owe and may give you a refund.
Información sobre impuestos en Español.
A limited number of forms are also available at local libraries and at the IRS office:
3251 N. Evergreen Dr. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
(800) 829-1040 for tax information
(800) 829-3676 to request forms
Popular Federal Forms
- Form 1040, opens a new window | Instructions, opens a new window (Individual Income Tax Return)
- Form 1040X, opens a new window | Instructions, opens a new window (Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return)
- Form W-4, opens a new window (Employee’s Withholding Certificate)
- Form W-9, opens a new window (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification)
Do your federal taxes online with IRS Free File, opens a new window.
State tax forms. Also includes forms from previous years.
Contact Center: 517-636-4486
To request forms, select Option 2. Forms may not be requested through the Contact Center until mid-February.
Forms may also be available in mid-February at:
State Office Building, 2nd floor
350 Ottawa St. NW, Unit 17
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Visit the Federation of Tax Administrators, opens a new window for other states' tax forms.
Popular Michigan State Tax Forms
- MI-1040 | Instructions (Individual Income Tax Return)
- MI-1040CR | Instructions (Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim)
- MI-1040CR-7 | Instructions (Home Heating Credit) links not yet available
File your Michigan taxes online for free, opens a new window.
City of Grand Rapids tax forms
Printed forms are not distributed to libraries. Please call or email the City of Grand Rapids Income Tax Department to request that a printed form be mailed to you:
A limited number of forms are also available at the Grand Rapids city offices:
300 Monroe NW, 3rd floor
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
City of Walker tax forms.
Printed forms are not distributed to libraries.
A limited number of forms may be available at the Walker city offices:
4243 Remembrance Rd. NW
Walker, MI 49534
Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who make $57,000 or less, persons with disabilities, people who are age 60 or older and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. Schedule your free tax prep appointment by calling 211.
IRS Free File provides options for free brand-name tax software or online fillable forms plus free electronic filing. Everyone can use Free File to prepare a federal tax return. Taxpayers who make $72,000 or less can choose from several commercial software providers. There's no income limit for Free File Fillable Forms, the electronic version of IRS paper forms, which also has free e-filing.
The Kent County Tax Credit Coalition, opens a new window provides a directory of free tax preparation services and resources available to assist low- to moderate-income people and senior citizens.
Schedule your free tax prep appointment by calling 211.